Sunday, November 15, 2009

Episode 3: Lost in Translation

I just got a letter today from aunt Rhonda, and it was dated before Halloween. I really miss you guys. Sister Beck came and spoke, she was really great, I love hearing from the high up people in the church, because they've really been through it all and have a lot of guidance from the Lord. Sister Motsumori was with her and then some other guy from the area presidency. Sister Motsumori gave this really great talk. In her talk she had a story about her son´s mission. He was serving in Bronx New York in a really dangerous neighborhood, and the mission president allowed her and her husband to visit him. It was a really scary part of town, so she was nervous, but when she saw her kid come walk around the corner down the street it was like he had a bubble around him, a bubble of protection, and she knew that he was safe. She knew that the Lord was keeping her son out of harm. I really loved that story.

This Saturday we got to go out proselyting. We call it proseletismo. We went out for 7 whole hours in a new part of town with about 6 million dogs. They were everywhere. The people didn't seem to accept the message very well at all at first, one guy was really old and kept like yelling at us in his own muffled way. My dang companion was just nodding at him and saying, esta bien, esta bien, its good its good. But the guy was a huge anti, and telling us that we are liars. But, my comp kept nodding and agreeing. I turned to him, my comp, and, in english, said, No he is calling us liars, NO. He immediately got this hilarious look on his face and starting shaking his head and saying no, no.

Later we did a lot better though, a couple of our people seemed like they could go all the way. We gave one guy a book of Mormon, and later he was riding on a bus and we walked past and he waved at us, that was an awesome moments.

I was going to mail more family letters today, those ones are fun to write. I hope that the Beavers beat the Huskies, they better at least. (they did!) How long until the civil war? I miss watching college football.

Did Mecca really drop the prices? That’s amazing! You lucky dogs. I bet they made like a million dollars right after they switched back.

I got to give a blessing last night. One of the missionaries in my district got me up at like midnight, he was really sick. He wanted a blessing. His comp did the putting on the oil and I did the blessing. The spirit of the Holy Ghost was so strong, and it worked. He slept fine and is totally healthy today. I was really nervous and had to go into another room to pray first alone so I could do it. It was a really great experience though, and I feel like it brought us all together.

I really love the gospel now, I mark my scriptures up like crazy, and my Preach My Gospel too. Jeffrey R. Holland is definitely my favorite apostle, he has such a great spirit as he speaks, and his testimony of missionary work is really powerful.

I found some parkour to do the other day and just went crazy, I was sore the next morning, haha.

I love you a ton and I miss you a lot. Talk to
you next week. Tell the kids to stay gold

I love you, thanks for the emails.

Elder Barry

ps tell mom that i have not been able to go to Wal-Mart, and the washing machines are super easy, we do it twice a week, and they cost nothing. I’ve only spent money on candy at the hostel they used for the temple when it was still open so my grasp on it is like nothing, oh well

love you
bye

No comments: